Your smile is one of the first things a person will notice.
If you have stained, dull, or discoloured teeth, teeth whitening may be the perfect option to brighten your smile.
Teeth Whitening in Barnt Green, Bromsgrove, Birmingham and the West Midlands
Even healthy teeth can discolour over time, for example teeth can darken and become more yellow as we with age. Common causes of stained teeth are genetics, antibiotics, tobacco, and certain food or drink such as tea/coffee.
Tooth whitening is a simple and effective way to brighten your smile. You can look younger and feel more confident with a brighter, whiter smile. A smile is the best thing you can wear! Patients should consider tooth whitening:
When should patients consider tooth whitening?
- When the mouth is free of gum disease, tooth decay, or tooth infection
- Unhappy with the colour or shade of teeth and appearance of the smile
- When they are willing to take steps to maintain results
A visit to our hygienist is a usually highly recommended prior to starting your tooth whitening treatment in order to maximise results and educate you on how to look after your teeth and optimise the success and duration of your brighter whiter smile.
Frequently Asked Questions
Professional tooth whitening has a strong scientific evidence base for being effective in improving the shade of yellow and discoloured teeth.Intrinsic stains, particularly those caused by fluorosis and antibiotics can be very resistant to tooth whitening or may only demonstrate limited improvements. Topical tooth whitening products may enhance these stains as the surrounding enamel is lightened.
If you have staining or discolouration on your teeth which we feel is unlikely to respond to a professional topical whitening product, rest assured we will discuss other suitable options such as:
- Porcelain or composite veneers – these are placed over the front of teeth.Veneers restore a bright and unblemished appearance to teeth impacted by a number of cosmetic defects, including deep stains.
- Dental bonding – also known as cosmetic/composite bonding – made from a dental resin or white filling material that can be shaded and skilfully shaped to produce an ideal tooth appearance. It is a safe and cost-effective method of dealing with intrinsic staining.
These two treatments can form part of a smile makeover approach, which is a more involved cosmetic treatment process. Here all the aesthetic and functional issuesaffecting your smile would be addressed and discussed with you at length prior to creating a bespoke treatment plan to suit your health and aesthetic needs. The final result is a healthy, long-lasting, and attractive smile that you will feel proud and confident to share with the world.
During your initial consultation, we will listen carefully to your concerns, assess your teeth and gums, and help you determine which options will best protect and perfect your smile.
There are two types of teeth whitening – in surgery treatment, and take-home treatment.
- Chair-side, in-surgery teeth whitening takes around 60 minutes.
- Take-home tooth whitening kits are specifically customised to your teeth and may take two to four weeks.
Both options can lighten the teeth several shades, helping to eliminate surface staining to RESTORE your bright, youthful and attractive smile.
Teeth whitening will not harm your teeth. The bleaching process can, however, cause temporary sensitivity of your teeth. We will provide clear advice on how to minimise sensitivity during your treatment and how to limit and cope with any sensitivity after the treatment.
Alltooth whitening options provided at RESTORE are planned and aim to be long-lasting. How you care for your teeth following your whitening treatment will, however, directlyimpact on the longevity of your whitening results and improved shade of teeth. It is important patients take on board advice from our team on how maximise the effect of your treatment.
Maintaining the results of tooth whitening is relatively straightforward. It shouldn’t require toochange to your lifestyle or daily routines.
Below are some important points to bear in mind if you want to maintain your brighter, whiter smile for longer:
- Avoid all form of tobacco products, including smoking
- Reduce the frequency of intake of coffee, tea, and red wine
- Drink soft drinks, juices and sports drinks using a straw
- Reduce your frequency of intake of dark or highly coloured foods such as berries and sauces
- Foods that stimulate saliva production such as apples, strawberries, celery, carrots, pears and sugar-free chewing gum will help clear the mouth of lingering stain-causing food/drink.
- Swirlingand rinsing with water after eating or drinking stain causing foodstuffs can also be helpful
- Brushing after every meal and snacks using a soft or medium-bristled toothbrush with a toothpaste recommended by our team.
Remember that some toothpastescan be abrasive and damage the precious natural enamel covering your teeth and also dental restorations.
We would always provide all the after-care advice as part your consultation and treatment. Regular visits to your hygienist for professional check-ups and cleaning of your teeth is essential. We would advise on how frequently you should attend for these visits. At these appointments, surface stains can be gently polished away and additional cleaning treatments are available for your comfort and to maximise your hygiene, health and to maintain your results for longer.
If a top-up treatment of tooth whitening is required you can discuss this with your dentist or hygienist – they would be more than happy to help and guide you to a confident, happier and healthier smile.
To book your consultation please call 0121 445 3697.
Alternatively, complete our enquiry form and we will be in touch.